Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"Heartbroken I've been for you..."

I am a bad Emily Haines fan.

I had no clue that she released the EP follow up to Knives Don't Have Your Back last week!

So yeah. Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton are back with the understated, quiet, melodic, piano driven music her solo work is known for. Apparently, the tracks off this EP were recorded during the same sessions as Knives Don't Have Your Back but I think they hold their own as a separate piece while tying into the previous work. Though I insanely adore Metric, I appreciate her solo music. I find that it seems sadder, grittier, and a bit less potentially pretentious. I saw Emily Haines in September or October, performing with just a piano and it was phenomenal and dark. This type of material made her appear more down to earth, instead of coolly above it all. It also creates a good divide for me, I can rock out, get ready for parties, or dance to Metric, and I can relax and read to Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton.



Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton - Bottom of the World from What is Free to a Good Home?





And just for fun: Metric - Dead Disco (Encore Version). I remember seeing them in Boston, and though they did a different middle interlude portion, it was still amazing.

1 comment:

Robert Bruce said...

I've just discovered this artist. She sings a song in the Bones' episode titled "Boy in the Shroud" which includes a lyric >>I've pushed you down deep in my soul for too long<< Do you know the name of the song?