Thursday, June 5, 2008

"In your truth, you buried mine..."

So You Think You Can Dance post!

Milwaukee produced the most number of dancers that I really found myself connecting with thus far.

Kourtni Lind, Evan Kasprzak (the kid who did the Gene Kelly number), and Cooper Zamorano - the Travis Wall duplicate. Although in previous episodes, I found myself really enjoying Thayne Jasperson as well (I suppose these names show that my allegiance this year seems to be with jazz and contemporary dancers). I hope at least those four make it to the top 20.

Personality and fluidity were paramount to me, as well as the precision in the execution of movement.

This is going to be a great season, but thus far, I haven't really been invested in the contestants yet. In previous seasons, I found myself rooting for Donyelle, Benji, Travis, Danny, Lacey, Neil, Nick, etc from the moment they auditioned. I guess you could say that I'm rooting for the above people, and that they're excellent, but in previous years, the aforementioned list of dancers just had that extra something that made them standout from the getgo and you knew they'd be in it til the end. Also, in previous years I've been able to pick the top 2-4 from the first audition day, and I don't see that skill continuing this year.

Travis Wall makes a pretty (albeit somewhat agressive!) girl, lol.

Anyway, the song Kourtni danced to last night was:




Ani DiFranco - Parameters from Knuckle Down








And here's a clip of one of my Top 20 hopefuls - Cooper Zamorano, dancing to a song by Craig Lyons.

Craig Lyons will be an artist to watch. 3 of his songs have found their way into contemporary auditions, and even one partnered dance. He is a singer-songwriter with a guitar focus. The sound is passionate, and slow, but not heavy like Ray LaMontagne's, or softly restrained like Damien Rice. I'd say maybe he's comparable to Matt Nathanson, but Craig Lyon's voice is more well defined and doesn't have that Jason Mrazzy upswing that Nathanson usually does with some of his words and choruses. Obviously, I've been trying to fit Craig Lyons in to some sort of category, and with some sort of name, but labels don't matter. What it comes down to is that he's good. And you should listen to him.

Craig Lyons - In Your Eyes - danced by Cooper Zamorano

No comments: