Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Given the choice if I could fight or walk away, I'm walking..."

"Aight. Let's break this shit off. Spirit awards, in your mouth." - Rainn Wilson while hosting the Independent Spirit Awards in Santa Monica earlier tonight.

I've been too busy studying to check out some of the indie films that I've been really hoping to see, such as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Once, Rocket Science, etc. In order to try and catch up, but not get distracted, I got the soundtrack to Once.

I don't quite know how to effectively describe it. I feel like the music hearkens back to an early to mid 90's age of vocal melody. That's not a bad thing. I hear Marketa Irglova in "If You Want Me" and my brain goes to Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt. Some, if not most, of the songs are ones that you could find yourself playing in the background of your evening. They're tracks that belong on Chill Out Lounge XXIV (I just made up that title, but you get what I mean, right?) I really love the fact that the songs aren't overproduced and are simple. Just the singer-songwriters and their raw talent. I also enjoy the fact that the male vocal lead in the movie is Glen Hansard of The Frames, because his day-job band makes great music and it amuses me that their song "Pavement Tune" has been popping up in commercials for a seemingly mediocre NBC dramedy about 20somethings and their life crises. Psssshh. Whatever. Enjoy The Frames for who they are, not how they've been marketed to us recently.




The Frames - Pavement Tune from Set List





Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - If You Want Me from Once (Original Soundtrack)

No comments: