Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"The way you changed my life. No, they can't take that away from me..."

Sunday evening, Alison and I went and saw Rebecca Sponseller, David Hicks, and Larry Whitfield perform a holiday themed cabaret called Jeoparadet at the Duplex.

I've had the pleasure of seeing this trio before, and they are constantly surprising me as an audience member with interesting and dynamic additions to their repertoire. Not only are they talented, but they're genuine and hilarious. So if you like hearing beautiful singing voices, musical theater, and/or holiday music, or if you like playing Jeopardy and drinking, these three have the event for you.

Some songs of theirs that have always stuck out to me have been "A Step Too Far" from Aida, "Next 10 Minutes" from The Last Five Years, "Someone to Fall Back On" by Jason Robert Brown, songs from Company, etc. This particular performance renewed my love for Gershwin's "They Can't Take That Away From Me" and "Unusual Way" from the musical Nine, as well as Carole King's "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (the last of which has been a personal favorite of people I've known through the years, and the one that I fortuitously picked when my number was drawn to choose a category).

There are even still tickets available for next week's show. So New York City readers, get to it! It's 10 bucks well spent. And hey, if you meet the singers afterwards, tell them that you read about them on a blog, haha. They might enjoy the momentary internet fame, who wouldn't?



Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald - They Can't Take That Away From Me from Best of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong







And because I love Fred Astaire's rendition, here's the video for it from way back when:





UST Singers - Unusual Way

No comments: