Friday, October 26, 2007

"Love is war, I'm your soldier..."

When I first heard J. Holiday's "Bed," I was not impressed. I was driving into the city and Z100 had pegged it as the song for the fall/winter. It annoyed me lyrically as I found it to be a bit plain. The chorus, to me, was the worst part because it overused the repetition of its words.

However, the -ay chant that Rihanna makes use of is also present in this song, and it's effectively haunting. It imprinted itself in such a way, that while I hated the song, it stayed and grew to sound better than upon the initial listen.

Will it actually be *the* song for the fall/winter? I'm not sure. It's definitely not mine, but it's still nice and has a sense of ease to it that I think people will relate to. For the mainstream crowd that listens to Z100? Well, they might find that this song will stick around for just as long as they allow it to.



J. Holiday - Bed from Back of My Lac

No comments: