Sunday, August 12, 2007

"If anyone finds out, I'll turn their lights out..."

I ran across this Brooklyn band, Free Blood, today, and when I heard their song "The Royal Family," I was intrigued. They don't have many tracks on their myspace page, though it seems that they have a vinyl coming out in the fall or winter following a current release in the UK. Their sound is very futuristic and strange, but not in a "Daft Punk/Basement Jaxx friendly aliens who like to boogie" way, but more an "apocalyptic the humans are dead" way. Then, without warning, the music takes flight. The male vocals drove me crazy before the changeover, as I thought the man's voice sounded like Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords. The sound also nagged at me because it reminded me of another act but I couldn't quite figure out whom... and then it hit me: Islands. I think the strange vocals paired with a pulsing beat are reminiscent of some of the work of the Islands. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Either scenario is quite plausible.

Take a listen for yourselves.



Free Blood - The Royal Family






Islands - Where There's a Will, There's a Whalebone from Return to the Sea.

No comments: