Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I needed you to notice..."

Returning from the weekend back into my concert list.

Shiny Toy Guns at Fearless Studios.

At two points during the year, I don't know what I was thinking as far as potential jobs were concerned. I sent in an application to be a veejay for both Concert TV and Fearless Music. The former did not get back to me though I thought it was a better prepared application and I've been to an insane number of concerts and have so many stories. I actually got the chance to interview for the latter (I genuinely assume that musical knowledge/cheery personality won them over, as I don't think of myself as looking like an "in front of the camera" person. Confirming this, they opted to go with this college frat looking dudebro, and then phased that out as well and mostly only show minimalistic studio performances). Anyway, Shiny Toy Guns were there that evening, and the small group of people who were there both as staff and interviewing got the chance to stand way in the back of the small space behind the cameras and catch the show. I count this as lucky because there must not have been more than 15 people total, if even that.

Their energy fit in with where they were performing. And the female lead sang each song boldly, even throwing herself on the ground a la Madonna or The Sounds, though I'm not sure if they used that footage because I know that the vocals and music wound up being out of sync the teeniest bit. I don't even think I had heard of them much or perhaps at all before then, but I know they performed Le Disko and Don't Cry Out and a few other songs. It felt like a supremely small set and I had to leave for another interview and couldn't stick around to chat up the band. That would've been something, yeah? I feel like they could've done more as far as being electrifying, but it was a studio performance rather than a full out concert. But it still felt like something special and you knew you were in the presence of a really fun band on the verge of something great.






Shiny Toy Guns - Don't Cry Out from We Are Pilots

No comments: