Tuesday, July 3, 2007

"Numb me, drill me, floss me, bill me..."

I had to go to the dentist today. I really loathe the dentist.

Steve Martin as Orin Scrivello DDS - Dentist. I thought I had a cavity, but after much painful poking and prodding, it turns out nothing was wrong at all. This furthers my idea that dentists enjoy inflicting pain on others and reminded me of Steve Martin's well portrayed sadistic dentist character in Little Shop of Horrors.


Weird Al Yankovic - Cavity Search. Weird Al's Cavity Search was one of my favorite songs off Bad Hair Day and is a parody of one of my favorite U2 songs too. Not only is it hilarious, but the song captures all the really tiny dental moments that are often forgotten about: parking validation, checking insurance, etc. In comparison to his other music, Cavity Search holds up as equally excellent. Though I don't listen to Weird Al a lot anymore, mainly because I'm not twelve, I still think his ability to parody and alter the music to fit his persona is brilliant.


I had to throw this video up here, because I adore Bill Murray and the fact that he improvised his lines. Besides, it shows that the only people who really enjoy going to the dentist are either dentists themselves or masochistic patients. Plus, Little Shop is really an amazing musical dark comedy. I love it more than Rocky Horror anyway as its music had a Broadway-accessibility to it far before it was even adapted to the stage.

1 comment:

lil m said...

you do know that Bill Murray was only aping a role created for the screen 1st by Jack Nicholson in a black & white Roger Corman drive in quickie pic from the mid 60's right?

if not , ya gotta pick up a copy cheap and check it out...

you'll dig it i suppose...

anyhow thanx for the tunes and whatnot...