Saturday, June 30, 2007

"I can't do this all on my own, no I know, I'm no Superman"

While driving to Scarsdale today, my friends and I had a conversation about our enjoyment of Scrubs and Reno 911. Scrubs effectively uses their background music to hammer home or propel their plot points, so here are a sampling of my favorite songs used on Scrubs.

Colin Hay - Overkill. Colin Hay, of Men at Work fame, was the troubadour that semi-haunted JD in the episode titled after the song. He's the only musician I've noticed to appear on the show (I don't count Clay Aiken as a musician, but if there are others that I'm not remembering, let me know), and he was used cleverly throughout the episode. His music truly mirrored the problems of other characters and, of all the music used on the show, was the most useful device. Colin Hay's solo work is also incredibly well crafted. I think I enjoy it more than the songs he did with Men at Work.



Erasure - A Little Respect. This was used in the season one episode My Best Friend's Mistake. Of all songs to play in the background of an operation, this is a really fun(ny) choice. Erasure's also touring as part of the True Colors tour with Cyndi Lauper, The Gossip, Margaret Cho, etc. Tour schedule and other information can be found here.



Jon McLaughlin - Human from Indiana. Heard in the episode My Conventional Wisdom. It's used when Elliot's wondering if she's making a mistake by marrying Keith. Using the lines "is there any other reason why we stay instead of leaving" really makes the moment intense.






Lazlo Bane - Superman. This is the Scrubs theme song. The soundtrack can be purchased here.






And oh yeah, they did a musical at some point too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This comment is coming about a month and a half late, but I just discovered this blog and was thrilled to find an entry on Scrubs. I love the show!
You forgot to include Polyphonic Spree (in I don't remember which episode). A band member is hospitalized and Dr. Cox reluctantly lets his band come visit. Hilarity ensues. =)