Saturday, November 24, 2007

"Locked up with all of my people..."

The second song that was played on the radio was The Presets' "My People."

After hearing "Are You the One?" on So You Think You Can Dance this past season, I was beyond intrigued. The group's sound fell right into a spectrum of bands I enjoy.

I tend to group them in with Interpol, She Wants Revenge, and The Faint. They are the most similar to the Faint, I believe, because the music has an edge and anger that contributes to its immense danceability. But the vocals are in between Interpol but not quite She Wants Revenge (I suppose this might just be a roundabout way of referring to the staccato deep voiced delivery of lyrics known to Paul Banks and Justin Warfield. Yeah, the Presets fall in line with that). The Presets are a little less post-punk, a lot more electronic, so if that's your scene, then these Australian guys are for you.

When "My People" came on the other night, it felt like it was in direct opposition to Modest Mouse, but both were such distinct entities that the combination of the two by way of intelligent callers really caught my attention.





The Presets - My People









And here's the clip from So You Think You Can Dance that introduced me to the Presets. I'm surprised I hadn't heard them earlier, but oh well. Much like the dance, the band brings the fight.

No comments: